Monday, September 13, 2010

One person's trash is another person's treasure.

While most people think nursing homes are a sad place, to me working at a nursing home has a lot of benefits. I get the chance to meet amazing people who have gone through more in their lifetime then you or probably I ever will. Also, I get to experience the feeling of being needed and also a sense of accomplishment for doing something good for someone who is in need. To most just by walking into a nursing home gives them an uneasy feeling and to the naked eye looking at the elderly that are in there it may seem as they are unhappy and sick but in all actuality each one of those old farts has an amazing personality and most of them are quite happy with the life they’ve lived and where they are at. Do they wish they were still in their own house taking care of themselves? Oh, without a doubt, but I do my best to make sure that every day I work is an amazing day. I have more happy memories in nursing home settings then sad ones, and I am so grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. I see exactly where you are coming from, ali. All the residents have their own story to tell, and are deep down very sweet. I would like to go to west for a day just to see the differences, I bet it is crazy!!

    ReplyDelete